Monday, May 16, 2005

Cuba

My abuela was in a rare mood today. She is living with me now because she can't live alone. That is another blog entry. Today I told her about a party at the Cuban Interest Section in June in Washington, DC. I am planning on going with my friend. When I was telling her about it she became very melancholy and nostalgic. It was like she was taken back to a different time and place.

I heard about Cuba before the Revolution, pre Fidel. I thought I had heard it all before, but apparently I hadn't. She decided to go a new and different direction with me. She talked about how there was so much corruption in the government due to the American Mafia, American businesses, and Batista. She said there needed to be a revolution, but no one expected it to turn out this way. Everyone thought it would be set up like Puerto Rico, with democracy shining through.

She described a beautiful Cuba, full of tourists and children playing in the surf. Plenty to eat and money flowing. But she said not everyone had money. The poverty was so oppressive in the Black and Mulatto communities. That is why most Black Cubans LOVE Fidel. He made the White European looking Cubans on the same level as they were on. Everyone is equal. She said that Black Cubans could not go to school because they were expected to work in the Sugar fields and Nickel mines. It was still very much a "slave" mentality. She said she was one of the lucky Mulattas to be able to go to school and then to University because she was very fair with gray eyes. Yes, simply based on her looks. Well, maybe Cuba was more like the U.S. in that aspect, in the 50s and 60s...segregation, etc. You all know where I am going with that.

She talked about the wonderful parties she used to attend, with flowing Champagne and good food. How she was a debutante and how she met my grandfather. The dancing, fat cigars and skinny cigarettes, it was all over. It sounded amazing. It made me feel like I was there. The cool ocean breeze on my face, along with bright sun shining down. She was able to travel to and from the U.S. because she had relatives living in New Orleans and Shreveport, Louisiana. She said she experienced pure freedom, unlike the people of Cuba today. She said she longed to have those days back so she could see her siblings again.

My grandfather was a banker in Cuba. My grandmother was a translator with the German Embassy in Havana. Abuelo knew things were changing and little by little put money into U.S and Swiss bank accounts. When he and my grandmother would travel to the U.S. they would bring silver, gold and other items of sentimental value with them. My grandmother said she felt dumb wearing and bringing all that stuff in her suitcase. But on New Year's Eve1958, my grandparents decided to miss the social event of the year at the Copacabana (yes there really was a place named that) to stay home. My grandfather made my grandmother pack all their stuff in suitcases. He didn't know for sure what was going on but he knew something bad was going to happen. Then New Year's Day 1959 it happened. Fidel rode into Havana victorious over Batista. My grandmother said she was so afraid because she knew they would be leaving her home forever. She said she closed her eyes to try to keep the memory of her childhood home in Santa Clara and her new home in Havana because she did not want to forget them.

She and my grandfather were one of the lucky ones because they knew several languages, English included, and had lived in the U.S. before. So they arrive in the U.S. with my 14 year old mother and 5 year old uncle on January 7, 1959. They decided to settle in New Orleans because my grandmother had siblings there already. My grandparents have siblings still living in Cuba with no hope of getting out. So we make our monthly or quarterly trips to Mexico to send them money or clothes and pray everything gets there. The U.S. Embargo against Cuba makes it almost impossible to assist families now. Now with Fidel's no dollar policy...it is crazy. What I don't understand is what is the difference between China and Cuba?! They are both communist states, they both have human rights issues. Why do we trade with them and not Cuba? Oh wait, the Cuban exiles. Remember the elitist society I wrote about, well that's them. They are killing their own people. Phone calls are few and far between because getting a phone line in Cuba is like calling Mars...impossible. A lot of phones there are still on the party line system, meaning other families can listen in on your call and your business is all over the streets.

I wish there was a way for my grandmother to return. She could return but she has made a vow to never return as long as Cuba is a communist state. She longs to have those ocean breezes and sun shine on her skin and I wish I could give them to her. So I am going to this party for you Abuela. I will think of you as I am drinking Mojitos. Toasting you and your bravery!

CUBA LIBRE!!



3 comments:

Karla said...

Beautiful Entry Kim.

CubanDiva said...

Thanks Karla! I hope it is a fitting tribute to my Cuban family.

The Grouchy One said...

How beautiful.
Please tell Nana that her girl "Santa Cruz" will think of her on that night at the party; tell her that I will raise my glass to her, and to the others for their courage. For those left behind, and the memories that are kept alive in her stories.

-Marissa