Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Immigration - Part II

I just wanted to respond to my girl Reese comment to my Immigration blog:

Yes, you can get H1-B visas, but they are EXTREMELY hard to get! I know because I run my company's Immigration/Expatriate program, in addition to my other duties. The government only gives out 250 visas per profession per year per country. The profession has to be specialized in an area that the U.S. doesn't have, so doctors, nurses and IT people don't usually qualify for those visas. You can't come from a certain country. Let's just say Middle Eastern countries are the most difficult.The only exception to this rule is China. They will allow up more Chinese in the country because they are a communist country and we make "exceptions" for communists.
I agree with you that the U.S. is not ready for a guest worker program, but we had better get ready or this problem will never go away. I wouldn't mind paying more in taxes, if I knew that I was going to get health care and housing, like they do in Canada. All I know is we have to do better or things are going to get worse for everyone, including Americans.