Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Cuba for the night!


Marissa looking lovely at the Embassy Posted by Hello


Cuban Diplomats Posted by Hello


Kim and Ines(A Cuban Diplomat) Posted by Hello


Kim and Mari drinking Mojitos Posted by Hello


Mari and Kim inside the Embassy Posted by Hello


Chandalier in Ballroom Posted by Hello

I went to Cuba for one night. Well the Cuban Interest section of the Swiss Embassy. It was a beautiful place. When we arrived there were protestors, shouting, "Shame on you!" and it took me aback for a minute because I forgot that I was going to a Cuban sponsored function. As I walked into the building, I thought of Elian Gonzalez for some odd reason. I believe this is the place where his grandmothers tried to convince his Uncle to give him up. Well, that is another story.

My friend Marissa attended with me. We went up the ornate staircase to a beautiful ballroom. It made me think about the parties my grandmother described she went to when she was young.

The mojitos and other cocktails were flowing. Marissa made a friend of a man that looked like he was 90 and he was making mojitos. And man was he making the best mojitos on earth. He called her "Mulatta Linda". It was really very cute. I think he was making our mojitos stronger than anyone else's because after my second one, I had a DEFINITE buzz going on. There were all kinds of Cuban foods...Ropa Vieja, moros y cristianos, yuca y ajo, and arroz con leche.

The band started playing. They were surprisingly good. I hated it when they took breaks because I wanted them to keep playing. Some man grabbed Marissa to dance. She was a dancing Mami all night long. Although she will deny it. The Cuban Diplomats danced and enjoyed themselves. It was so great to watch them. There were several couples there that reminded me of my parents when they dance together. There was dancing, drinking, salsa lessons, drinking, and dancing and drinking.

It was a night that helped me forget about the difference in politics that the U.S and Cuba have. It was just a night to have fun and have a little freedom to experience something new but yet VERY familiar to me.

Literally climbing into bed!! Posted by Hello

5 comments:

CubanDiva said...

Trina,
I am stripping you of your "Blaxican" title! lol Ropa vieja is a Cuban beef dish that is made with garlic, tomatos, bellpepper, onions and it is cooks until it falls apart. It is delicious. Yuca is like potato and you can cook it in a ton of different ways. Arroz con Leche is just rice pudding with raisins. Delicioso! lol

Tannia,
We had so much fun that night, that I don't feel my words described it sufficiently. Mari is definitely a sucia! LMAO

CubanDiva said...

Hey Glo! I was feeling great like you were at the retreat! lol

Karla said...

aww again i am jealous it looks like you had a wonderful time.

CubanDiva said...

We had an awesome time. I don't think I can write the words to express how much fun we had.

The Grouchy One said...

Okay, so I'm late commenting. But it has afterall, taken me a week to recover from our PAR-TAY weekend. LOL.

Kim, thanks for visiting. You are right, we had an awesome time. Nothing is better than a party with good food, good time, GOOD MOJITOS, and of course, good friends. :-)

-Marissa