Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Response to Reese about New Orleans

I wanted to respond to my girl Reese regarding her comments on New Orleans. Reese, have you ever lived there? Have you ever been there when there wasn't a festival or some major convention happening? I have. I lived there for 2 years, so I know what it is like to be there day after day. If you haven't, then you don't KNOW the real New Orleans. You CANNOT go by what you have seen on TV the past few weeks.

New Orleans has survived hundreds of hurricanes since it has been in existance and there was no reason to believe it wouldn't survive this one. The government for whatever reason decided not to spend the needed money to reinforce the levees that surround the city, but that is neither here nor there. It is where it is and I hope it stays. I just hope they decide to build the levees stronger. Every city has poverty and crime and New Orleans isn't any different. In my previous post, I was mourning for the city that I know/knew and love, not discussing the socioeconmics of the city. I could go into the politics of the city, but I won't. It is difficult for someone from the "North" to understand the thoughts and outlook of the people from the "South". We may seem oppressed and out of touch with the progressive ways of the "North", but we like it that way. "Seem" being the operational word.

Reese, yes I hope New Orleans is able to rebuild and be a better city, but I hope in the process that it doesn't lose its "essence" and if that includes poverty and crime then so be it. Washington, DC has the highest division of socio-economic differences, with very little "middle ground", so you should look in your own backyard first for changes. By the way, Miami has a HIGH crime rate too, but you were willing to move there, so you need to give New Orleans a break.

I love New Orleans the way it was and I am mourning for my city that I love and KNOW very well!

1 comment:

Reese The Law Girl said...

Whoa, lot's of hostility.

My post was not meant as an insult, just my honest opinion. If DC had to be built over, I would say the EXACT same thing- don't make it just like it was. Make it better (for the record, I never lived in DC, but MD and I don't live in Miami now (because of the crime)- I live in Broward County).

No, I wasn't trying to put any other city above New Orleans. But, the fact remains that NO did have a high poverty rate. A lot of people in bad situations. So, now they have the chance to do something no other place in the US can do- rebuild a new, major city to their liking. It's a great opportunity to improve the city and make it better than it ever was.

I understand your attachment to your home, just like I'm attached to mine. But, I still hope the city doesn't stay the way it was. I hope it's built to be better for all of its citizens. I do not accept that NO cannot keep it's spirit without improving its poverty and crime rate. There is just too much of an opportunity to do great things. Really and truly, right now NO has the opportunity to be the GREATEST city in the US. I hope that the powers that be make something out of this tragedy.

Sorry, but that's just how I feel. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.