Sunday, March 16, 2008

Parents


My parents. Wow what can I say! Growing up they were strict as hell! They were always saying what I couldn't do, which outnumbered the things I could do. I felt oppressed and stifled. Good grades were a must, nothing under a B. I was lucky, because learning came easy for me. I didn't realize the adversity they were struggling with. Surviving in the late 60's and 70's was hard, but to come from another country in addition to that was extra hard. As I know now. They did the best they could with me. I ran away from them at 17, through marriage. Too YOUNG!! But I wanted to be on my own and life without someone telling me NO all the time. Now, I see, as a parent, what they were trying to protect me from...LIFE! My parents have been married for 42 years...43 in July of this year. Their marriage has survived domestic violence, economic recession, discrimination, infidelity, and time. They have done what most people today can't do...stick together no matter what. I don't know what the difference in marriage now as opposed to then, but whatever their formula is, it has worked.
So to my dear parents I want to say THANK YOU and I LOVE YOU!! You made me what I am today and I appreciate you both!!

No comments: