Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The US Gulf Coast

Okay I am on a roll today y'all! I was watching Oprah yesterday. She did a show on how we don't know what is going on at the Gulf Coast today, since Hurricane Katrina. She had Lisa Ling act as special correspondent on her show. Lisa went to Mississippi Gulf Coast. I was speechless. Families are living in tent cities. Literally miles and miles of these tent cities. The lucky families were able to get trailers, but those are few and far between. There has been no clean up done, since October 2005. Trash and debris is EVERYWHERE!! What da hell??!! Everyone has been focused on New Orleans, but we have all seemed to forget that Mississippi was hit hard too. Mississippi is the poorest state in the union. They have been devestated by the hurricane but we have all forgotten about them.

Where did all the money that was raised to help the Katrina Victims?? Why are people living in squalor? Where is the Red Cross? Why aren't they spearheading clean up and repairs. I don't understand. Then Lisa showed how there are lots and lots of trailers that people could be using, just sitting around. They have been paid for by the government, but haven't been put to use. Why? Well, FEMA's excuse is that they don't have the land to put them on. Ummm how about cleaning up the cities where the devastation occurred? How about repairing the utilities so they can be used? I was amazed and appalled. We are spending billions helping Iraqis, but we have the poorest of the poor in our country suffering worse that an Iraqi. I don't understand it. I just don't. Why aren't the congress people protesting this?! Why aren't we as a nation protesting this treatment of our citizens? I am so ashamed today of my country! I am going to try to figure out what I can do to help because I can't sit by and watch this anymore!

2 comments:

CubanDiva said...

I have never been a big Red Cross fan. I found out when they give money to disaster victims, the victims have to pay it back. Americans are giving the Red Cross money for the victims and the VICTIMS have to pay the money back. I always donate to the Salvation Army. What is a little Jesus if you know someone is truly helping you.

Reese The Law Girl said...

Ugh. Why does this not surprise me. It reminds me of how the victims families of 9/11 from the DC area said they were neglected by various organizations including the red cross after the disaster happened. All anyone cared about was NY. And, while the numbers in NY were very astoundingly large, there were still victims from DC/MD/VA who were never given any assistance.