Sunday, July 09, 2006

FIFA World Cup


I am not a big sports fan by any means, but I become obsessed when the World Cup begins. I am a MAJOR soccer/football fan. I am so sad that France did not win the World Cup. I usually don't pick a team to go for; I just like the action that goes on, on the field.

France has the most "Black" player of any country, outside of Trinidad and Tobago and Brazil. France has 15 Black players on their national team roster. France's most famous player is Thierry Henry, is a Black man. He plays professionally for the Arsenal, an English major league team. Thierry has been subjected to being spit on, had trash thrown on him, called the "N" word in various languages, by European "fans". It sounds so much like the American South, doesn't it? It has been so bad for him and other "Black" players to play in European leagues, with the exception of Brazilian players. I have always thought of Europeans as being more accepting of "Black" people. They are so quick to criticize the world on human rights problems, along with the US. And it appears they have a pretty bad track record also.

Theirry, along with Nike, has set up a program called Stand UP Speak OUT! It is to help educate Europeans about racism in the soccer world. The web site has some of the most famous soccer players talking about what it is like for them at some games. It is a nice site. They had come up with these nice wrist bands that are black and white intertwined, but they have sold out of them and they were only available in Europe. I wish I had known about them before.

I was hoping for French Victory because of their black players. Soccer/Football has been one of the sports that we "Black" people just can't seem to break the color barrier as far as fan base and respect. The one exception is Pele . Pele was the most accomplished player in soccer's history, however, I have heard statements that he is Brazilian, not "Black". Ummm HELLOOOOO!!!! There are millions of "Black" Brazilians, as there are "Blacks" in other Latin American countries, and as we see in some European countries, such as France. It is all so ridiculous. I mean they are just trying to play a game they just like everyone else.

So France lost by a messed up penalty kick, but they are by no means NOT losers. Theirry, you and your band of brothers faught a hard fight. You showed the world that "Black" can fight the hard fight with everyone else. Vous avez joué un bon jeu !

And to my TnT players....You are still my SOCA WARRIORS!! The stars of the TnT national team are Shaka Hislop and my buddy Avery John. Even though Avery got a red card in on of the World Cup games, I know one of those Swedish A**holes said something smart to you. Like that Italian guy said to Zidane Zinedine (Zizou)...oh wait...sorry that is another story. Besos y Abrazos to my TnT boys!! And les étreintes et embrasse to my French boys.

While I am on the topic of soccer, I have to say how pissed off I am at the MLS for not putting my friend Avery on the list for the All Star Game. What is that about? Is this punishment because he isn't American? Or that he chose to join his fellow countrymen and represent his country in the World Cup? This is the second year in a row he has been "overlooked" and I am using that word loosely. He has been a very good defender for the New England Revolution, so why wasn't his name put in the running? Is this another way of showing racism in this country? It probably is but I am too stupid or naive to believe it is happening.

Oh and Shaka, welcome to FC Dallas. I will be happy to show you around any time, any day! LOL