Monday, March 20, 2006

Cuban Feet

A Carnival Cruise line picked up 28 Cubans from the sea. I don't know where, but they were in the ocean in search of freedom. The cruise ship makes a stop in Galveston, TX. The migrants are not allowed to get off the ship because of the U.S law of wet foot, dry foot. The cruise line has to meet a U S Coast Guard cutter boat in the middle of the ocean and then transfer the 28 people from the ship to the boat. Then they will be sent back to Cuba. Because Carnival Cruise lines is not registered under the U.S., the dry foot rule does not apply in this case. So they have to sit on a ship while it is docked in Galveston, looking at the people come and go. I think I would be tempted to blend in and get off the ship. Cuban Rescue

If a Cuban makes it to dry land, without the help of someone on the land, they will be given automatic asylum in the U.S. If someone on the land helps the Cuban by pulling them to land, they can go to jail and the Cuban is "disqualified" and sent back home. That is MADNESS!! This kind of previledge is not given to any other group, except Cubans. I understand the premise of it, but I think it is wrong. I think any group that has to brave shark infested waters to get some place should be given the opportunity to stay. I am speaking in terms of Haitians in particular. Haitians are turned away in droves. NOT FAIR! The only difference between them and Cuba, is that they have a quasi "democratic" government. I am all for getting my fellow Cubanos here, but only if it is fair and equitable to everyone. I know there is going to be someone out there pissed off at me for saying this. Hey I am Cuban too. I know all too well the suffering they are living with, the oppression they are under. But we need to be fair to everyone.


I know we are trying to fight Communism with stupid embargos and trade bans, but we are hurting the Cuban people more than we are helping. Cuban exiles can only visit the island once every 3 years. You can only take less than $500 in cash when you go. You can only visit immediate family members, parents and siblings only. No tios no primos, etc. How is that fighting Communism? How is that helping the Cuban people? It is more frustrating than helpful. I don't understand the thought behind all of this. I know someone out there will school me.

I want Cuba to be free. I want to be able to go there and vacation, visit familia. Go to the places of my ancestors. I hope this happens in my lifetime. CUBA LIBRE!!



3 comments:

Reese The Law Girl said...

I agree with you 100%. You stated it perfectly.

nosthegametoo said...

I know very little about the island of Cuba, aside from several books I've read. But a close friend's Uncle visited recently, and said the island has all too much potential.

I have nothing particularly important to say, but I would guess that the island will open up during our lifetime, and relatively sooner rather than later.

Karla said...

Cuba Libre is right i agree with you a 100%