Monday, March 30, 2009

Parenting

Parenting is easily the most difficult job in the world. There is no procedure manual to guide you. At least at work you have a handbook, or a policy and procedure book available. As a parent, it is all trial and error. And let me say it is mostly error!!


I thought when my daughter made it to 18 that my job would be done, but it seems I have an extended contract. It seems that she doesn't plan on leaving home. I have made it too comfortable for her. She wants to stay forever. I remember at her age, I couldn't wait until I could get out of the house. Not her!! I feel like a complete failure as a parent. Did I not invoke the "get out the house at 18" message loud enough? She wants to stay home and attend college. NOOOOO!!! Don't you want to live in the dorm or sorority house and be independent?! "No", she says, "I want to stay with you forever!" WHY?!! What did I do wrong?! My daughter and I have a great relationship. We talk about any and everything. Some things I don't want to know, but I listen because I am happy she feels comfortable to tell me. I never had that relationship with my mother. So maybe I did do something right.

I have stopped going to the soccer games in freaking cold weather, freezing my bum off, because she can drive herself now. Her feelings are hurt. She says she can't play if I am not there! What? Why the hell not? She tells me don't you care about how I play? Ummm no not really! I just did it before because I had to, now you are on your own sister!

Aww well, I guess I can't complain too much because I have raised a child who is basically a great person, woman. She loves me unconditionally. Hopefully she won't put me in a "home" when I get old!

No comments: